The Duchess of Sussex is suing the media
Meghan Markle's text messages revealed that her husband, Prince Harry, faced “constant abuse” from the royal family. Correspondence between the Duchess of Sussex and her former secretary of public affairs, Jason Knauf, was released in connection with this week's Court of Appeal hearing.
The Duchess of Sussex claimed that Prince Harry faced “constant curses” from the royals over the strained relationship she had with her father, as text messages show.
Earlier this year, the 40-year-old Meghan has successfully sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), the publisher of MailOnline and The Mail on Sunday, for more than five articles that reproduced parts of her 2018 “personal” letter to Father Thomas Markle, according to Sky News.
The High Court originally ruled the publication was illegal, and ANL is now appealing the decision.
Meghan and her father, Thomas Markle, have had a tense relationship since the royal wedding, leading up to which Markle Sr. struck a deal with the photographer. -paparazzi about a staged photo shoot. Then, after suffering a heart attack, he refused to lead Meghan at the wedding ceremony, and Prince Charles took his place.
Meghan later told Oprah Winfrey that her father had “betrayed” her and she “would have had a hard time making peace” with him. Relations with the parent continued to deteriorate as Markle Sr. continued to communicate with reporters and the paparazzi.
Text messages between Meghan and former couple secretary Jason Knauf were made public in light of this week's appeal hearing.
According to testimonies, the Duchess of Sussex decided to write a letter to her father, Thomas Markle, to protect Prince Harry from “constant curses” from the royal family, to do something to prevent Markle Sr. from talking to the media.
One of these, published on Friday, reveals Meghan's frustrations with other members of the royal family. In this message, she claimed that they “fundamentally do not understand” the reasons for her separation from her father and writes that she wrote the letter only in order to “protect my husband from this constant abuse.”
Another message read: “The catalyst for my doing this was when I saw how much pain it caused G. [Harry]. Even after spending a week with his father and endless explanations of the situation, his family seems to forget the context – and return to the fact that “can't she just go and see him and stop this?”
“ By taking this form of action, I protect my husband from constant abuse, and although this is unlikely, perhaps it will give my father an opportunity to stop, “Meghan Markle wrote.
For his part, during his interview with Meghan with Oprah Winfrey earlier this year, Prince Harry said that he felt “disappointed” with his father, Prince Charles, in anticipation of their departure from the position of senior members of the royal family. He claimed that the Prince of Wales stopped answering his calls while the couple tried to negotiate their position in the royal family by the end of 2019.
“But at the same time – I will always love him – but there has been a lot of pain and I will continue to make it one of my priorities to try to heal this relationship, ”Harry told the TV show host.
Earlier this week, Jason Knauf stated as evidence that Meghan wrote a letter to her father knowing that the message could be leaked.
Her grounds for filing a lawsuit against ANL were related to privacy and copyright.
Jason Knauf also said that he provided information to Omid Scobie and Caroline Durant, the authors of the unofficial biography of the Dukes of Sussex, “Finding Freedom.” “, Including” several times directly with the Duchess, in person and by email. ” the court deceived “because of their recollection of certain conversations with Knauf.
At a hearing in the Court of Appeal on Thursday, the three senior judges in the case said they would take time to consider their decision and make their decision on ANL appeals later.